Thursday 5 March 2009

Berlin's Underworld

I was doing my groceries today (actually, I only bought four onions and a can of corn), and decided when I got out of the supermarket to have a Currywurst at the take-out in the parking lot there. When I got there, I saw the bloke, a Korean, sitting on his chair staring into nothing. He didn't even notice me. Only when I said "hello" and placed my order he did jump up and fixed the Currywurst in no time.
You might ask how I know that the thing is run by Koreans. Well, it is called "Kim's Take-Out". Every bloody Korean I've ever known was called Kim, so I'm just allowing myself to conclude the obvious.
Anyway, as I was eating, I noticed three Asian blokes next to me who were talking loudly all the time. They were obviously in some sort of relationship to the guy in the take-out, because he kept staring over to them with a very uncomfortable facial expression.
I thought to myself, "maybe they're part of the cigarette mafia who keep selling fake Chinese cigarettes at the train station over there, and they are here to get their protection money from the take-out's owner". Then I smiled uneasily and told myself not to think in stereotypes so much.
A minute later, some bloke got over to them and bought a carton of Chinese cigarettes from them.

The worst thing about clichés is when they prove true.

No comments: